A curtain rod fell on the head of a toddler in the bath of his apartment in a north-end Vancouver neighbourhood last year, but it left a young family without the help they need, according to their landlord.
A family who owns the property in the Old Eastside neighbourhood has a bed in their apartment, but a curtain rod from a window rod fall on their child, leaving them without a bed.
The family says they are trying to figure out what to do with the rod, which has since been donated to a local shelter.
On Wednesday, the landlord was contacted by the Canadian Association of Sheet Metal Contractors, which represents curtain rods manufacturers.
In a statement, the group said the group received information about the rod and called the family’s story “an appalling example of neglect.”
“It is unconscionable to put a child in a home with a bed that is not there,” said CATS president Rob Smith.
“This is a clear case of neglect and a call for immediate action from the city to find the responsible party and provide the child with shelter.”
The rod’s fall is being investigated by Vancouver police.
Smith said they are still trying to find out what led up to the fall, and he says they have contacted the city’s Building and Housing department to ask for assistance.
He said it is likely that the rod fell while the child was sleeping, which would be a violation of the Building and Safety Code.
With files from CBC News